Friday, August 26, 2011

Becoming a brother...becoming a parent of two...

my two boys...

 Over the last few months I have realized that the adjustment of having a baby needed to happen not just on J's part but more so on my part of learning to parent two children at once...

NURSING TOYS!!!
At first the excitement of a baby in the house was fun and interesting but I could see that wear off after about 10 days for big brother. We introduced the idea of nursing toys (an idea I got from my mother), where J could play with special toys (a knights Playmobile set) only when I was nursing---which was at least once an hour on some days. He loved this and would jump up and down screaming, "my nursing toys, my nursing toys." He also had recieved two gift dinosaurs from the baby as a thank you for being a big brother---he got one at the hospital and one at home right when we got home from the hospital.


love at first sight


Big brother was curious and constantly wanted to touch and hold baby. J gave lots of kisses to the new little squirmy thing just like he had read in his many books we had gotten from the library to prepare him for this big change.




helping with tummy time
  One day as I was watching J play by himself quietly I got very sad and relized that he would never have us (his mom and dad) alone ever again and that Aram would never know what it was like to be a single child, to have the full attention of his parents. When I asked my little sister about this, she assured that me that she did not know the difference and did not think about it at all as a child. So I had to let that one go...

kisses
When my mom came to visit she was great at giving J lots of attention, although she ended up with the baby in her arms much of the time as J did not want anything to do with anyone but me.  As she watched J act out and do things he knew was not supposed to do over and over again she mentioned that when I spent 10 minute undivided time with J he was much easier to handle and to seemed happier.Since I have started to play and give my undivided attention to J for 10 minutes (at least) everyday his melt downs and angry moments have started to dissipate.


my brother

 
During a visit at my sisters I told J to use his big boy voice and to not whine or yell at me to get my attention. My sister very nicely pointed out that he had used his big boy voice the first 10 times he had asked for the food item. I realized that I had to start to pay attention better to him and make sure his needs were met when he asked the first time (or realistically 2nd or 3rd time).



kisses for crying baby
 Another special ritual started this summer was son-daddy time once a week. They ride the bus somewhere near our home and eat breakfast. J's choice is always a mickey mouse pancake and the quality of each restaurant is always reported to me based on the quality of the pancake. These outings make J's face light up and gets ready to go in record times on these mornings.

funny picture time
  I have realized that no matter what the time or activity we are doing J just needs to feel special in our eyes still...I mean what human does not need that!


1 comment:

Aurora said...

great blog Kesia! such a nice gift for your boys! love grandma oh oh