Sunday, March 1, 2015

Big little brother

In both Olde's and my families, our "little" brother and sister are actually bigger than us, so it is no
surprise that although Aram is not bigger than Jasper (yet), he sometimes acts like the "bigger" bro. My sister towers 3-4 inches taller than me and in some parts of life reached the finish line quicker than me in the race of adult responsibilities (owning a business and home way before I was even close to graduating from college). Aram is always 1-2 inches taller on the growth chart at the same age as Jas was, making me wonder if he will catch up or even pass up his big brother. We know he is big for his age, because when you put him in a room of similar age or even older kiddos he towers above them.
So as Aram has gotten older it is no surprise that he has started to torture his big brother a bit and actually get the upper hand in many battles. Although Jas will always be his big brother, I know as a parent it will be important to nurture Aram into his own relationships, attributes, and successes in life.

I even sometimes find myself silently encouraging him to get the upper hand and to "win." I think this comes of a place of being keenly aware that he is the younger, smaller and sometimes vulnerable one, because of this.

1 comment:

Old said...

J is such a good sport with it all, too.