Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Value in Silence

I don't get a lot of silence in my life. Maybe at nap time if both boys happen to go to sleep at the same time but really I go from work---noisy---it is always an adjustment for me to be in the high school hallways at the beginning of the year---to home---noisy---3 year old constant talking and baby babble drifting in the air at all times. Therefore, recently I have turned to two sanctuaries, Quaker Meeting and acupuncture, of silence. Really it is to refuel and have a few moments of time for myself to think and regroup.
Quaker meeting for me is place where I go to get answers that maybe are troubling me or just in need of being silent and still for an hour, a place of worship or meditation. And although acupuncture is a treatment for my pain with vulvar vestibulitis, which has been plaguing me since Aram came along, it is such a refreshing way to get a medical treatment to sit for an hour in silence focusing on myself and my healing process.

I did not realize that I was in need of such a thing-quiet time that is, until my mother pointed out that that is  why she went to Quaker Meeting at times when my sister and I were young girls. Silence, is never talked about as a need for the human body, but I have decided it is as necessary as sleep. So to new parents out there, make sure you find a time for your silence as well as your sleep.

No comments: