Monday, January 19, 2015

G-ma O-O says good bye...for a bit.

Grandma O-O was accepted into the Peace Corps. Now you may conjure up images of muddy swamps or latrine building muck when I say Peace Corps, but no, my mom got the assignment of the island of Dominica in the Caribbean. I think they reserve a few places that are not harsh for those elderly (sorry mom) with bad knees, type of locations that can nurture the soul. Well, this is what it has done for my mom. I was going through Facebook to find some photos of her experience and the one thing I noticed was how much she was smiling with either pride or pure enjoyment in all the photos. On her last visit to the states I noticed her glowing soul, and it dawned on me that she was truly at peace and happy in her life. We are so proud of her to serve the world in this way.

I know it was hard for her leave at a time when a new baby was coming, and grandchildren were growing so fast. But this adventure took her to a tropical paradise (literally).

She has left a serious impact on the lives of many as an elementary school art teacher and community member.
student store she helped to create

Murals painted all over the island

teaching print making

created an understanding of color theory

paper flower making

local historical theater

Independence days

carnival costume making
But what life for the past two years she has lived. Sure she says she misses blueberries and strawberries, but Dominica actually has a mango season that all us US people would die for. And the humidity is a killer, but I am sure she will miss the tropical weather when she has to come back to the arthritis inducing grey mundane days of winter in the Pacific Northwest. The huge nasty bugs, well that she won't miss those! I am excited to have her back on States side (she is finished April 1st with her service) but I know this adventure will have a lasting affect and she will cherish the memories forever!
 

 
 


Here's a toast to more adventures mom! Can't wait to see what's in store for you next.

1 comment:

Piper said...

She's one of a kind. Aurora is a fountain of life-force! XOXO